The St. Idloes Golf Club was founded 1897 on its present site, which was then the local race course and cricket practice ground. At one point in the club's history it temporarily moved nearer to the town, but returned to Penrallt in 1947.
The club is situated one mile to the north of Llanidloes. Leave the town by crossing the Long Bridge over the Severn and bear right towards Trefeglwys. After one mile, turn left (at the sign) up a wooded lane which will take you to the clubhouse and car park.
The course is nine holes in undulating parkland and the total length for eighteen holes is 5,510 yards. Par is 66. Although relatively short by modern standards, the nine holes are full of variety, the slopes and hidden greens require accuracy and course management to achieve a good score; long hitters find no advantage over their weaker brethren. There are no water hazards, but the gorse and heather trap the unwary as well as providing a never failing source of second hand balls.
From the edge of the course there are magnificent views of the Severn Valley and the Radnor hills to the east, while the bulk of the Fan Hill looms to the west, with Plynlimmon and the Cambrian Mountains some ten miles further off. The mature oaks, beech and birch trees around the course are superb at all times, but are breathtaking in autumn.
The club has always drawn its membership from the local people. Golf may be an elitist sport elsewhere in the country, but in a small country town where everybody knows one another nothing could be further from the truth. The club has a wonderful friendly atmosphere, which is extended without reservation to visitors.
The club welcomes visiting societies and individuals, and details of prior arrangement may be made and the cost of greenfees may be obtained by phoning the club on 01686 412559. The steward and caterer are not full time.
Handicap certificates and soft cleat are not required. The St. Idloes Golf Club is listed in the Fore 2 for 1 scheme.